Please read my disclaimer to these study notes first. This is how I start my studies. I do a read-through first in one translation – most likely Kings James Version. I do not look at the original language yet. The purpose of this first reading is to see what the scriptures say first. Below is the result of my first read-through.
Study Notes for Genesis 7:1-24
The Lord Has a Talk with Noah (Genesis 7:1-10)
1 And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation. 2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female. 3 Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth. 4 For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth. 5 And Noah did according unto all that the LORD commanded him. 6 And Noah was six hundred years old when the flood of waters was upon the earth. 7 And Noah went in, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons’ wives with him, into the ark, because of the waters of the flood. 8 Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth, 9 There went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and the female, as God had commanded Noah. 10 And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth.
- The Lord said to Noah
- You and your family come into the ark
- You are righteous before me in this generation
- Take 7 sets of every clean beasts, male and female
- Take 2 sets of every non clean beast, male and female
- Take 7 sets of fowls of the air, male and female
- Do all this to preserve life upon earth
- In 7 days I will make it rain for 40 days and 40 nights on the earth
- Every living substance I’ve made I will destroy off the face of the earth
- Noah did everything the Lord commanded
- Noah was 600 years old when the flood of waters were on the earth
- Everyone went into the ark because of the waters of the flood
- Noah and his wife
- Noah’s 3 sons and their wives
- Clean and non-clean beasts
- Everything that creeps on earth
- Male and female went 2 by 2 to Noah into ark like God told Noah
- After 7 days the waters of the flood came upon the earth
- What made Noah righteous verses everyone else?
- What is considered a clean beast verses a non clean beast?
- Was Noah shut up in the ark 7 days prior to the flood?
Noah’s children were about 100 years old when the earth flooded. They lived in a world gone mad and saw the hand of God destroy everyone and everything around them. Noah obeys God even though I know it made him look crazy.
Noah’s whole family and future generations were saved because of his righteousness. I found it interesting that Noah had a direct conversation with God. He knew it was God speaking to him.
The Flood Happens (Genesis 7:11-16)
11 In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened. 12 And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights. 13 In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah’s wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark; 14 They, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort. 15 And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life. 16 And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the LORD shut him in.
- Noah was 600 years 2 months and 17 days
- The flood came
- All fountains of the great deep broke up
- The windows of heaven opened
- Rain upon earth 40 days and 40 nights
- Self same day entered ark
- Noah and family entered ark
- Every beast after his kind
- Every cattle after their kind
- Every creeping thing after his kind
- Every fowl after his kind
- They went in 2 by 2, male and female, of all flesh, which was the breath of life
- The flood came
- All this done as God commanded
- The Lord shut him in
- Does “self same day” mean Noah entered the ark on the date given of his age? or
- Does “selfsame day” mean that Noah entered the ark right before the flood started?
- If so, then did Noah use the previous 6 days to load up all the animals, thus resting on the seventh day?
- What is the great deep?
- How did the Lord shut him in?
I think it’s amazing that all these animals and insects, etc. obeyed Noah and entered the ark. But then again animals are better at knowing when danger is coming than humans. And they know how to get out of dodge before it arrives. Humans aren’t so smart in this area. They believe they are invincible and can conquer anything. Unfortunately, they are always proven wrong.
Water came from in the earth and from the sky. Those people must have felt so helpless. There was nowhere to go. Water was coming up from the ground. What can you do with that information, except give in to it. I couldn’t imagine looking around and all you can see is water coming at you from every direction.
The Waters Increase and Prevail (Genesis 6:17-24)
17 And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth. 18 And the waters prevailed, and were increased greatly upon the earth; and the ark went upon the face of the waters. 19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered. 20 Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered. 21 And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man: 22 All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died. 23 And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark. 24 And the waters prevailed upon the earth an hundred and fifty days.
- The flood was 40 days on earth
- Waters prevailed
- Increased and bare up ark
- Ark lifted up above the earth
- Prevailed increased greatly
- Ark went upon face of the waters
- Prevailed exceedingly
- All high hill under whole heaven
- Prevailed 15 cubits upward
- Mountains covered
- All flesh died
- That moved upon the earth
- Fowl, cattle, beast, every creeping thing that creeps on the earth
- Every man
- All whose nostrils held the breath of life
- All in the dry land
- Every living substance destroyed which was upon the face of the ground
- Creeping things
- Fowl of heaven
- Noah only remained and those with him in the ark
- Waters prevailed upon earth 150 days
- What does it mean that the waters prevailed?
- Why is cattle referred to as “their” kind while everything else is referred to “his” kind?
- Why use the term “face” of the water/ of the ground?
- How high is 15 cubits?
- Was it a regional flood?
- Was this a worldwide event because the phrase “under the whole heaven” was used?
- Why was the term “prevail(ed)” used 3 times?
After it rained for 40 days and nights, the waters stayed on the earth 150 more days. That’s approximately 5 months. Noah and his family spent about 6 months in an ark, floating on water, not seeing any greenery or other life forms around them, except what was on the ark. This had to have an impact on him. Just a short time ago the land was filled with friends, neighbors, and enemies and now it was just the 8 of them with a handful of animals left in a great big world of water. I know that thought would have given me a lot of pauses throughout my day.