Please read my disclaimer to these study notes first. This is how I start my studies. I do a read through first in one translation – most likely Kings James Version. I do not look at the original language yet. The purpose of this first reading is to see what the scriptures say first. Below is the result of my first read through.
Study Notes for Genesis 5:1-32
God creates man (Genesis 5:1-2)
1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him; 2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
- God created man in his likeness
- God created male and female
- God blessed them
- God called their man Adam when he created them
- Should the term “Adam” in this instance (#4) be translated as human beings?
- Is God both male and female wrapped up into one?
God created man (human beings) in his likeness, male and female and called them Adam.
Generations of Adam (Genesis 5:3-32)
3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth: 4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters: 5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.
6 And Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos: 7 And Seth lived after he begat Enos eight hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters: 8 And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years: and he died. 9 And Enos lived ninety years, and begat Cainan: 10 And Enos lived after he begat Cainan eight hundred and fifteen years, and begat sons and daughters: 11 And all the days of Enos were nine hundred and five years: and he died. 12 And Cainan lived seventy years, and begat Mahalaleel: 13 And Cainan lived after he begat Mahalaleel eight hundred and forty years, and begat sons and daughters: 14 And all the days of Cainan were nine hundred and ten years: and he died. 15 And Mahalaleel lived sixty and five years, and begat Jared: 16 And Mahalaleel lived after he begat Jared eight hundred and thirty years, and begat sons and daughters: 17 And all the days of Mahalaleel were eight hundred ninety and five years: and he died. 18 And Jared lived an hundred sixty and two years, and he begat Enoch: 19 And Jared lived after he begat Enoch eight hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: 20 And all the days of Jared were nine hundred sixty and two years: and he died.
21 And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah: 22 And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: 23 And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years: 24 And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.
25 And Methuselah lived an hundred eighty and seven years, and begat Lamech: 26 And Methuselah lived after he begat Lamech seven hundred eighty and two years, and begat sons and daughters: 27 And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years: and he died.
28 And Lamech lived an hundred eighty and two years, and begat a son: 29 And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed. 30 And Lamech lived after he begat Noah five hundred ninety and five years, and begat sons and daughters: 31 And all the days of Lamech were seven hundred seventy and seven years: and he died. 32 And Noah was five hundred years old: and Noah begat Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
- Adam begat Seth at 130 years
- Seth was in his own likeness and after his image
- Lived 800 more years and begat sons and daughters
- Died at 930 years
- Seth begat Enos at 105 years
- Lived 807 more years and begat sons and daughters
- Died at 912 years
- Enos begat Cainan at 90 years
- Lived 815 more years and begat sons and daughters
- Died at 905 years
- Cainan begat Mahalaleel at 70 years
- Lived 840 more years and begat sons and daughters
- Died at 910 years
- Mahalaleel begat Jared at 65 years
- Lived 830 more years and begat sons and daughters
- Died at 895 years
- Jared begat Enoch at 162 years
- Lived 800 more years and begat sons and daughters
- Died at 962 years
- Enoch begat Methuselah at 65 years
- Walked with God 300 more years and begat sons and daughters
- Lived on earth for 365 years and God took him to be with him
- Methuselah begat Lamech at 187 years
- Lived 782 more years and begat sons and daughters
- Died at 969 years
- Lamech begat Noah at 182 years
- Lived 595 more years and begat sons and daughters
- Died at 777 years
- Noah begat Shem, Ham, & Japheth at 500 years
- Noah’s name means comfort
- Comfort people concerning work and toil of hands (hard labor) because the Lord had cursed the ground
- Had the first triplets
- What’s the difference between likeness and image?
- What is the importance of the numbers, 3, 7 and 10?
- Why wasn’t Adam mentioned as walking with God since he talked to him in the garden?
- What does it mean to walk with God?
- What does the term “generation” mean?
Adam had a son, Seth, who was both in Adam’s likeness and his image. Maybe this means Seth was created just a male and looked like Adam did instead of being created male and female like Adam was originally created.
Enoch is the seventh generation and he walked with God all his life until God decided he would rather have Enoch with him. It’s interesting that the first six generations were not listed as walking with God, even though men began to call upon his name during Enos’ time in the third generation. Also, it’s interesting that we have 365 days in a year and Enoch lived on earth 365 years.
In the first five generations, the age associated with fathering children steadily declined. Then in the sixth generation it jumped to over 100 years from the last generation.
Noah is the tenth generation. He was the oldest man to father children and when he did, God gave him triplets.